Is your system slowing down due to less free RAM? You can effectively increase the amount of RAM without purchasing another RAM stick! Yes, there is a term called ‘Virtual RAM’ which effectively increases the amount of RAM on your computer. In this article, we are going to elaborate on the process of how to create and limit the amount of RAM on your computer. Follow this step-by-step guide and in the end, enjoy the expanded RAM and a lag-free computer.
How to increase RAM in Windows 10
Follow these easy steps-
STEP 1 – KNOW YOUR INSTALLED RAM
1. Press the Windows key+I keys together.
2. Then, click on the “System“.
3. After that, click on the “About” on the left-hand side.
4. Check out the amount of “Installed RAM” on your computer.
STEP 2 – INCREASE THE VIRTUAL RAM
1. Press Windows key+R to open the Run window on your computer.
2. In the Run window, type “sysdm.cpl” and then hit Enter to open System Properties.
3. In the System Properties window, go to the Advanced” tab.
4. Under the Performance‘ tab, click on “Settings“.
5. In the Performance Options window, go to the “Advanced” tab.
6. Now, click on the radio button beside the option “Programs“.
7. Now, under the ‘Virtual memory‘ section, click on “Change” to change paged file size change.
8. In the Virtual Memory window, uncheck the option “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” so you can take control.
Now, you have to decide the storage option (Windows drive/ SSD drive) to utilize as paged file resources.
11. Follow the next steps to configure the page settings more efficiently-
12. Select “C:” drive.
13. Then, click on “Custom size“.
14. Then, set the ‘Initial size’ and the ‘Maximum size’ accordingly.
There is a rough formula to calculate both values for any device.
Initial Size (MB) = 1.5*1024* (Insatlled RAM)
Maximum Size =3*1024* (Installed RAM)
Example- In this computer, the Installed RAM is = 8 GB.
So. the Inital size = 1.5*1024*8 = 12288
Maximum size will be = 3*1024*8= 24576
Do the calculations according to the available memory on your device.
16. To finalize the limit, click on “Set“.
17. If a warning message pops up on your screen, click on “Yes.
18. Then, click on “OK“.
19. In the Performance Options window, click on “Apply” and then click on “OK” to save the changes.
20. Finally, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” in the Properties window.
Now you have successfully increased the virtual RAM of your system.